Know Your Credit
Checking your credit report is a GREAT idea!
It's smart to check your credit report/score on an annual basis. This helps to ensure the information reported is correct and so you know where you stand when you go to get a loan. There are a lot of sites that promise credit reports for free – only to find out you need to sign up for something or there is a hefty fee. TLC recommends using AnnualCreditReport.com. There is no cost for getting your report, however, if you want to get your credit score, there will be a small charge.
- You may request one free copy of your credit report from all three national credit bureaus every year. Some people request their report from one credit reporting agency every 4 months to keep a constant eye on things.
- To obtain your free report, go to www.annualcreditreport.com, or call toll-free, 877-322-8228. Be prepared, you will need to answer questions about your past credit for verification purposes.
- To request your reports by mail, send a letter to:
Annual Credit Report Request Service
P.O. Box 105281
Atlanta, GA 30348-5281
- You may contact one or all three national credit bureaus to ask questions about what was on your credit report
- Checking your own credit report is considered a “soft” hit and does not affect your score